I may have cheated a little.
I ended up using recycled IKEA curtains I had laying around the house. The camper needed 9 individual panels, and I had 6 IKEA panels, so all I really had to do was majorly hem six curtains and then make three from scratch. The whole project took about 2 hours and was essentially free! I was very excited about this because, for some reason, I absolutely hate sewing curtains.
The fabric print is gorgeous; retro in feel, but not too kitschy or overwhelming. It pairs OK with the cushion covers I already made, and I knew I wanted a light-color for the curtains to keep the interior open and fresh. The camper came with plain, dark brown curtains that had faded from the sun in a sickly way. They made the interior look as bleak as a tomb.
The new curtains are thick enough to provide privacy but they still let in plenty of light, plus they are naturally so pale in color I doubt fading will be a problem. I considered lining them with blackout fabric, but I worried the extra bulk would make the curtains lumpy and unattractive, and honestly, I think the sun should wake you up in the morning so I’m OK with that. Since this was a low-commitment project, if I feel the need to change the curtain situation in the future that won’t be a problem.
A note on curtain styles
I went with tabbed curtains for the camper and I’m really happy with the final look. So much better than pocket curtains, if you ask me.
This is how tabbed curtains look in the back:
The rod is inserted through the tabs, instead of a pocket, to create a a more pleated look. Since these curtains had both tabs and a pocket, I tested both styles so you can see the difference:
You can see that this fabric is just not suited for the pocket curtain; it looks lumpy and sad. The tabbed effect is much neater. Both styles are good in different ways, but in this case I liked tabbed ones best. The tabbed ones also open and close much easier and look better when opened, in my opinion. For the three curtains I had to make from scratch, I was happily surprised how simple it was to add the tabs at the top. A little more work, but worth the effort. You can use this technique to make curtains that are completely flat when closed, which I almost did, but in the end I left them a little pleated. You can’t do that with a pocket curtain, or when you open them you’ll get nasty wrinkles. It just doesn’t work.
I keep looking at my pile of finished curtains and cushions covers and I can’t help but smile! I’m so glad to have these projects finished and ready to go, but there is still so much to do. We can’t start on the real-deal renovating until May. Hurry up, Spring!
Free project using all reused/recycled materials from my sewing stash!
Total – $0